Thursday, December 28, 2006

Music Lessons

So, I'm still reading lots of magazines. It's what a do... and I've come across mentions of this site—Pandora—a few times now. Not one to believe in coincidences (or even that it's all just marketing, silly), I figured I had to go there. It's a sign.

Pandora has this music genome project ... tell it what music you like and it'll find more music like that. I wanted to confuse it a little, so I put in that I like The Dixie Chicks, The Doves and The Clash. But it worked. It found other songs I like—not really songs that combine all three, though. Just now... a song by Snowden... and it told me why: I seem to like songs with

basic rock song structures
a subtle use of vocal harmony
major key tonality
heartbreaking lyrics


It's all true! Except for that last line. I think.

And then a song from the Mock Turtles:

basic rock song structures
a subtle use of vocal harmony
mild rhythmic syncopation
major key tonality
acoustic rhythm guitars
political lyrics



And a song from Alison Krauss, who I thought I wouldn't like at all, and actually don't like too much now that i've listened to more of her, but...obviously this is for my love of the Chicks...

bluegrass instrumentation
country influences
folk influences
a subtle use of vocal harmony
acoustic sonority
major key tonality
a good dose of acoustic guitar pickin'
a dynamic female vocalist
a prominent banjo part
a prominent mandolin part
acoustic rhythm guitars
an upbeat two-step feel


I so wish I knew what all that means. That line about "major key tonality" makes me feel rather stupid. Mundane. Simple. Do I need to learn to love jazz? I like jazz; I just can't listen to it often. I prefer the blues. Hmmm. I play the piano (rather badly) and have played the drums (but I could never get the damn sticks to bounce right, plus I really don't have the arms to be a drummer. You know... to wear a leather vest as a top and all).

The site also found songs I didn't like... Jim & Jennie and the Pinetops? You're nice. Just a little too twangy/country for me. And Cheap Trick... well, OK. But you have that major key tonality too. As do songs from The Clash:

electric rock instrumentation
punk influences
a subtle use of vocal harmony
mild rhythmic syncopation
major key tonality
electric rhythm guitars


So, ideally, i need to find a punk country band that uses a major key tonality and electric or acoustic banjos. Please don't say the White Stripes. ; )

Happy listening.

6 Comments:

At 5:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It didn't make any sense. I thought it was poop.

 
At 9:24 AM , Blogger Marie Drucker said...

Ah, but you know music, dear.

 
At 12:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing too, otherwise I'd have to deal with this sort of gimmick. Yow.

 
At 2:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too much "major key tonality" for me...

 
At 2:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess if you don't like things in a harmonic minor tonality, you prolly won't like my stuff...

 
At 10:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Merry, its time for some new stuff here...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home