Sunday, September 25, 2005

Ideas and Inspirations

The inspiration tonight should be from Japan. We've rented Yojimbo and ordered in Japanese food. The kids ate their udon and chicken katsu while sitting on the floor. David ate sushi and explained the similarities between Jedi and Samurai to the kids, and pointed our where Lucas got many of his ideas. I had some marvelous sticky white rice and tempura (chicken and vegetable -- is there anything more inspiring than a deep fried sweet potato? Absolutely not). I was reading the subtitles aloud, until the dismemberment started. Then I jumped into the shower. Now Benjamin and David are still watching, but Daniel has taken out Lord of the Rings Risk.

So, the inspiration should be from Japan, but I can't think of anything Japanese that I've read. Oh, well, the kids and I have read some manga -- the kids subscribe to Shonen Jump. And I was a Sailor Moon fan for a short while (the manga is better than the cartoon show). And we love the movies Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke (I hope I spelled that correctly). I don't recommend either for very young children. Both have given me very vivid dreams, bordering on nightmares. When they boys are a little older, we'll rent Akira. It seems exceptionally violent.

The movie Memoirs of a Geisha is coming out soon. But I read the book and do not want to see the movie. If any of you see it (and I doubt any of you will), do tell me about it.

Instead, I’m still trying to compile a list of my favorite magazines. Maybe I’ll give out some assignments and ideas…

TAPKAE… I have a book recommendation for you. It’s called Bicyclopolis, a journey into the post-petroleum future. I believe it takes place 30 or 40 years after peak oil. Actually, the book may not be out yet. But go to: http://www.roadkillbill.com/!Bicyclopolis.html and see some cartoons about it.

Jay… I know you’re a busy lawyer now, doing all sorts of busy lawyer things. But you read as much as anyone I know and have a lot of books to tell us about. Remember? Guns, Germs and Steel. Collapse. Moneyball. Freakonomics.

Tommy… has lots of music stuff to tell us about. And maybe he’ll tell us why Being There is one of his favorite movies (I’ve never seen it).

Marvin Likeness… I dare not give you any assignments because you have too much schoolwork to do.

Moo... Perhaps you can tell us if it does ever rain in California (or does it just pour?)


Oyasumi
M

1 Comments:

At 8:36 PM , Blogger Marie Drucker said...

Oh. I'm so glad i showed you something new and you like it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home