Sunday, October 16, 2005

A Magazine I Love: The Atlantic

I keep threatening to write about my favorite and not-so-favorite magazines. But I’ve decided instead to tackle one or two at a time … as they inspire me.

First up: The Atlantic. I read The Atlantic from cover to cover each issue. I’m somewhat embarrassed to say that I don’t always understand all that I read, nor do I retain it all. But I “grok” enough of it. Sometimes I start at the back of an issue and read the book reviews first. Sometimes I read the short snippets of news and statistics first. Sometimes I just dive in and read it front to back. I believe The Atlantic has both conservatives and liberal writers; I’m honestly not 100% sure. Everything I read always makes some sense to me. Whenever I’m done with an issue – and I’m usually a month or so behind – I want to share it with someone. I’ve brought issues into work—giving them to people or leaving them in obvious places. I want to go up to people and say, you’ve got to read this.

The past few issues have been wonderful. Like many Americans, I didn’t quite like all of the recent cover story and follow-up pieces by a French journalist traveling in the footsteps of Alexis de Tocqueville. I didn’t always like his attitude and his not-so-favorable impressions of the United States. But I’m not jingoistic, so I wasn’t exceptionally upset by the articles.

I’ve learned tons of stuff about the Supreme Court in recent issues – including how little trial experience our justices have, how often ignore they their own precedents and how most environmental decisions are based on interstate commerce laws! One nit to pick: I don’t like the pretend question and answer format used by the law columnist. I guess it does help make it all easier to understand, but I also feel like I’m reading the writings of someone suffering from multiple personality disorder. (He seems especially pleased when he has asked himself a good question.)

The cover story on how Arafat may have prevented the Palestinians from having a state and/or self-rule was eye-opening. What a mess one person can make.

Now I’m practically caught up and reading the October issue before the end of October (I’m quite proud of myself). The cover story is on Lincoln and whether he might have been suffering from chronic depression. And this is what has most inspired me to write.

That will be the subject of my next post.

1 Comments:

At 8:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home