Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Lincoln’s Great Depression

That’s the cover line on the October issue of The Atlantic. The cover story, written by Joshua Wolf Shenk, is described this way: “Abraham Lincoln fought clinical depression all his life, and if he were alive today, his condition would be treated as a ‘character issue’—that is, as a political liability. His condition was indeed a character issue: it gave him the tools to save the nation”

I’m not a historian, and I wouldn’t dream of arguing about whether Lincoln saved the nation. I’m not that keen on politics either, so I have no idea how much of a liability a diagnosis of clinical depression would be – now or then. But I am curious about depression and creativity.

Here are the salient points the author —and I—wish to discuss: “…Lincoln’s melancholy is part of a whole life story; exploring it can help us see that life more clearly, and discern its lessons. In a sense, what needs ‘treatment’ is our own narrow ideas—of depression as an exclusively medical ailment that must be, and will be, squashed; of therapy as a thing dispensed only by professionals and measured only by a reduction of pain; and finally, of mental trials as a flaw in character and a disqualification for leadership.”

Shenk organizes the Lincoln story piece into three sections—three stages of melancholy (a wonderful word): fear, engagement, and transcendence. He says melancholy is defined as “fear and sadness without [apparent] cause,” and he likens it to a “dark heart … often marked by periods of withdrawal and sometimes utter collapse.” In the next stage, engagement, one turns from the question of whether one could live to how one will live. Finally, in the last stage, “the dark soil of melancholy … yields fruit.”

Uh. OK. Maybe. It’s been said that some of our greatest artists were depressed. We all know about Van Gogh. What about you? Are you more creative when you’re down? Is there a breaking point? If you’re too depressed and can’t get out of bed, you obviously aren’t going to be creative. Do you need to get past that stage – to transcendence? And how many people are capable of doing that? Where does that inner strength come from?

What are your feelings on antidepressants? I’ve spoken to many men who feel antidepressants just numb you and don’t let you experience a full range of emotions. That can’t be good. [Full disclosure: I take an antidepressant, but I never feel numb and definitely experience every emotion there is to feel. Sometimes all at once. Kidding. Really.] Surely not everyone who is depressed is also a creative genius, right? Or does depression give you certain insights (the author of the Lincoln story believes this) that fuel creativity? Non-depressed people may not even realize all the insights they’re missing out on.

: )

Thoughts?

6 Comments:

At 1:50 AM , Blogger Moo R. Squiddles said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:04 AM , Blogger Moo R. Squiddles said...

Here it is, my great announcement. I have depression. The clinical kind. Been diagnosed and everything.

One thing I have not done is take anti-depressants. My depression is "situational", as it has been described as. Meaning, if too many things go on at once, I tend to feel at loss of what to do, and want to crawl up in a ball and dssappear. But, I have the rationality to know doing just that will cure nothing. So, in the end, I have depression with a large dose of logic.

Hence, logic within itself disarms depression.

To get to the topic:

Depression can fuel a deeper meaning of emotions. Art and Music are expressions of just that. It makes sense that Artists and Musicians would be more susceptible to that nature. I write deeper and more meaningful words and songs when I am in my deepest bouts, and more elateful and angelical lines when the temporary episode of down-ness subsides.

I would take anit-depressants, but I have heard of libido going down, and for some reason that scares the shit out of me.

I'd rather feel everything that there is to feel, and live it completely. Depression is a condition, not a lifestyle, although it feels that it is.

 
At 9:40 AM , Blogger Marie Drucker said...

From my friend DJ:

http://abilitymagazine.com/abe_story.html

Someone told me yesterday that there's a Web site (I gotta find it) that lists important and famous people who take antidepressants, and also speculates about historical figures that had depression.

 
At 9:41 AM , Blogger Marie Drucker said...

And from my IT support person... mostly commenting on my son...

He needs some sports, anything that requires eye-hand coordination that does not require pressing A, then B then Start. This will get his heart rate up and push endorphins back into the system, this is the body's own defense against depression (learning to deal with failure and achieve a realistic goal is an unbelievable exercise for the mind, I wish doctors would prescribe volley ball once in a while instead of doping kids up) and if Abe Lincoln pole vaulted once in a while he would not have been such a mope.

 
At 9:43 AM , Blogger Marie Drucker said...

And TAPKAE, that Web site is odd. I'm often intelligent and emotional. They are not mutually exclusive. Except when I have PMS. Then all bets are off.

 
At 8:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great depression? What's so great about depression?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home